Friday, October 01, 2004

Creating in Kansas

I went to the Depot Theater Company show last night. The work that everyone put into it was obvious. It was great fun and will be a very funny show through the course of its run. I often think about the talent level of the folks that have worked in the company over my years of involvement with it. One doesn't think of a town of 20,000 people in southwest Kansas being this rich in talent. I am not the most traveled of people but I have seen shows on Broadway and the West End of London. The people in our shows could hold their own there. Congratulations to the entire cast and crew.

Thinking about the show makes me think about collaboration. One of the reasons I didn't stay in Hollywood was that making movies was too collaborative. Too many people involved and the vision was too muddled. The collaboration I have enjoyed as a director in the Rep. Co. was very gratifying. My intent was always to be a facilitator, an encourager (is that a word?), and a guide. I had a great time doing it and I thank all those with whom I have ever worked. The joy that comes when people work together in a creative atmosphere is one of the best feelings I get.

I look forward to doing this with the Imum Pancy Productions team. Seth and Sarah thanks for giving me this avenue.

No comments: